Sunday, February 9, 2014

He's the Most Frustrating Man In the World...


         The Underground Man in Notes From Underground by Fyodore Dostoevsky is the most interesting, complicated, and most importantly, frustrating character I have ever read about. Not only are his values completely backwards, but he can't seem to figure himself out and contradicts what he believes in at every turn. It honestly makes me want to slap him in the face, but then again, he'd find enjoyment out of it.
         Part of the reason he is so frustrating and complicated is because half the time, the underground man is rambling on about some topic that he has already exhausted two pages ago. Almost any point he tries to make leads him to rant about nonsense, causing him to not only not make any sense whatsoever, but to bore me, as the reader. I often find myself trying to figure out if he is still even talking about the same thing or if he has moved on to his next rant. This can be disorienting and frustrating. 
         The most frustrating thing about the Underground Man is that he can never make a complete point. When I say this, I mean that he can always talk about something for ages but he can never get around to what he is trying to say, because he doesn't know what exactly he is trying to say. He is writing to find answers to his own problems, so making sure his reader is understanding isn't his top priority. He is just trying to talk around the problem trying to get to the root. When he finally rules out an idea, that is when he contradicts himself. He has already presented it as his belief though, so he just turns his argument the other way, saying that he was joking or lying. That is the most frustrating thing about him.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. The underground man just rambles about the differences that are going on in Russia. He doesn't believe that there should me ulitaritism and Industrialization because he is a romantic. In the second part of the book he goes back in time and explains how he lived his life. His explanations just justify his craziness because he spends years planning for a single shoulder bump!!!! I mean how crazy is that?? I really hope I can read the rest of this book in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete